IP Address?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IP Address?

Post  DonGateley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 am

I'm trying to get it to control something in Plogue Bidule running on Win 7. Bidule's server port is configured to be 5918 and the address of the machine via its WiFi is 192.168.1.207. Does this mean that the IP Address parameter of Settings in the Android App should be set to 192.168.1.207:5918?

What is the port number of the server in the Android app?

Thanks

DonGateley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IP Address?

Post  coupe70 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:45 am

At the moment the app is fixed to send on 8001 and receive on 8080.
I read it's on the list to make it user configurable, but for now I guess
you can change it in Bidule..?

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonGateley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes, I adjusted Bidule accordingly, then successfully sent my first messages to it from a single button surface I created with DAWOSC and it is indeed controlling the on/off switch of the VST plugin I aimed it at. Phenomenal! Many thanks.

Configurability of ports with DAWOSC is desirable, of course, as a future development. What would really be cool would be the ability to configure it on a per control basis, perhaps in the editor. Having more than one Bidule instance under control with individual ports is something people are talking about in the Bidule forums.

I feel like a kid with a new toy rather than a 70 year old retiree. I can't stop pushing the button for the joy of watching the indicator change state. Now, off to the races. :-)

I'm afraid I'll be a prolific suggester. For example I'd like to send multiple messages with a button. I see a case where to make a bypass button I need it to send messages to both the wet and dry control of the plugin when the button is pressed.

So glad you are doing this!

DonGateley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm

DonGateley wrote:Configurability of ports with DAWOSC is desirable, of course, as a future development. What would really be cool would be the ability to configure it on a per control basis, perhaps in the editor. Having more than one Bidule instance under control with individual ports is something people are talking about in the Bidule forums.
User-configurable ports should be done in about 2 weeks (more or less). After this upcoming release this week, that's the next feature I'll be implementing Smile

Having unique ports per controller is a cool idea, bit I think that may be a major undertaking. I'll add it to the list of planned features so I don't forget about it. It's definitely do-able though.

DonGateley wrote:I'm afraid I'll be a prolific suggester. For example I'd like to send multiple messages with a button. I see a case where to make a bypass button I need it to send messages to both the wet and dry control of the plugin when the button is pressed.
That's already a planned feature Smile

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Admin wrote:
DonGateley wrote:I'm afraid I'll be a prolific suggester. For example I'd like to send multiple messages with a button. I see a case where to make a bypass button I need it to send messages to both the wet and dry control of the plugin when the button is pressed.
That's already a planned feature Smile

Ok, now this contains something I wanted to suggest, but held it back, because you are busy
and there is a new version on the way. I would prefer to just type OSC messages in a text field
with prefixes, values, perhaps variables, etc.

So for a simple controller I would type:

/prefix1 val (button or fader sending /prefix1 and the values set for min/max, represent by the term "val")

For 2 messages I would just type:

/prefix1 val

/prefix2 val (so the element would send the same value with 2 different prefixes)

For a longer message (very useful e.g. for Ableton Live !) I would type:

/prefix1 4.5, val, "abc", 6
(controller will send 4.5, the value of the controller and a string and an integer)

You could also allow to define lists you can step through with a fader or with the planned radio buttons:

/prefix1 list

list:
"string1"
"string2"
"bla"
"string7"

In other words: I would like to have a flexibility with OSC messages like in Surface Editor,
but personally I would prefer it a little more text/script based (like above) than GUI-based
like in Surface Editor.

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Ok, now you're just being needy! lol!

I'll add that to the list Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Well, it kind of makes work on the editor GUI easier when adding more features,
because you just have new terms for the text field and don't have to add things
to the GUI. On the other hand you need some more work under the hood to
interpret what has been typed in the text field...
And it quite easily opens OSC messages to a free number of values.
Just one practical example:

You can access the sends in Ableton Live via OSC.
But you need a message like this:

/send int, int, float (track number, send number, send value)

I think it is worth it, because it opens the way for really cool future features
(see the possiblities in Surface Editor).

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I agree, it's definitely worth implementing, but unfortunately it's not a simple thing to build due to the flexibility of this feature. It's something I'll look into in the upcoming month or two.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Admin wrote:I agree, it's definitely worth implementing, but unfortunately it's not a simple thing to build due to the flexibility of this feature. It's something I'll look into in the upcoming month or two.

Yes I know. Just wanted to mention it before you implement too many new features and it
gets really complicated to rebuild the already existing features in a new format.

If you want me to I could spend some time with thinking about what a clever synthax would
be - what I wrote above was written down quick and dirty...

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm

coupe70 wrote:Yes I know. Just wanted to mention it before you implement too many new features and it
gets really complicated to rebuild the already existing features in a new format.
I *THINK* that will be an "Add-on" as far as the source code, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

coupe70 wrote:
If you want me to I could spend some time with thinking about what a clever synthax would
be - what I wrote above was written down quick and dirty...
Naw, don't waste your time Smile I have some really rough ideas for this to make life easier for the user, but until I start working on this (and really start thinking about this), it's enough that I know I'll have to implement this soon-ish. And that's the important thing right now.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish painting bedrooms....did I mention that painting SUCKS!!!!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DonGateley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Where do you live? I'll paint your bedrooms for you if it will free you for DAWOSC work. Wink

I've seldom seen a developer so open to and even enthusiastic about suggestions. What a breath of fresh air compared to what I'm used to over at Plogue's shop.

DonGateley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DonGateley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Re the sent packet syntax, the spec at http://opensoundcontrol.org/ pretty much lays out the syntax of messages, arguments and bundles and might be a good reference. Their idea of bundles would subsume the multiple message functionality. I think mirroring that spec (with appropriate syntactic sugar to hide their byte string orientation and map controls to variable arguments) would serve you well in the long run. Just another one of those suggestions. :-)

DonGateley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:52 am

DonGateley wrote:Re the sent packet syntax, the spec at http://opensoundcontrol.org/ pretty much lays out the syntax of messages, arguments and bundles and might be a good reference. Their idea of bundles would subsume the multiple message functionality. I think mirroring that spec (with appropriate syntactic sugar to hide their byte string orientation and map controls to variable arguments) would serve you well in the long run. Just another one of those suggestions. :-)

The format would just look like OSC in best case:

/prefix1 arg1, arg2, arg3, ...

The 'sugar' is in what you put as arguments beside int, float and string.
So besides sending constants you could for example use the value of a controller to mimic the now normal behaviour:
val(0,1) or val(0,127) is the actual 'position' of the controller mapped to the given on/off or min/max setting, depending on what controller you have.

/button val(1,0) - a button with this synthay would be sending 1 as ON value and 0 as OFF value
/button val(1,) - a button with this synthay would be only sending 1 as ON value, no OFF value

/fader val(0,127) - a fader with this synthax would give you a standard fader with a int range from 0 to 127
/fader val(0.0,127.0) - a fader with this synthax would do the same with floats

But further you could implement new terms.
touch(0,1) could be sent when you touch or release a knob or fader. (this 'touch' feature is already on the list as far as I know)
val could also contain the actual value of another controller mapped to a range by typing
val(/theother/fader,0,100)

list() could be used to go through a list either entered directely or defined below
list(1, 5, 9, 14)
or
list(listA)

listA: 1, 5, 9, 14, 15, 17, 89, ...

A momentary button would step through the list value by value with every touch.
The planned radio buttons could get their values from a list.
A fader would step through the list mapped over the whole fader range.
This would be fantastic for Ableton Live where some parameters have only
3 states and you could simply step through them with a momentary button.

You could also type MIDI and planned keystroke messages here with special keywords like

/midi ch1, note, c#3, val(0,127)
/key "k"
or
/key SHIFT+F5
Just typing this would free you from somehow recognizing keypresses like Shift, Alt, F-keys
when setting the desired keystrokes in the editor.

You would just decontruct all the typed lines in editor and save it to the same file format as now.
/fader val(0,127) for example would end up in exactely the same information in the layout
file and would therefore work in the app without changing one line of code in the app.
This would be true for all already existing features - the way you input information in the
editor changes, the resulting layout file stays the same.
And deconstructing the typed lines is exactely like deconstructing a received OSC message.
That is not toooo much code...

Sorry, Mark - I really start to burn for this, so the ideas simply appear...
Which color did you choose for the bedrooms ? Wink

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:41 am

DonGateley wrote:Where do you live? I'll paint your bedrooms for you if it will free you for DAWOSC work. Wink
You can help me move our furniture into storage today. That would be a great help! We just bought a house, so we're really busy getting our current house ready to sell.

DonGateley wrote:I've seldom seen a developer so open to and even enthusiastic about suggestions. What a breath of fresh air compared to what I'm used to over at Plogue's shop.

Thanks! I come from the mindset that the app can be much better if users suggest features should go into it instead of me deciding what makes a good app. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 am

coupe70 wrote:The format would just look like OSC in best case:

/prefix1 arg1, arg2, arg3, ...

The 'sugar' is in what you put as arguments beside int, float and string.
So besides sending constants you could for example use the value of a controller to mimic the now normal behaviour:
val(0,1) or val(0,127) is the actual 'position' of the controller mapped to the given on/off or min/max setting, depending on what controller you have.

That's what I want it to be...a free-form OSC command that users could enter on their own. There really isn't a "standard" OSC command, except that it has to start with a prefix. But rules are meant to be broken, that's why I don't want to impose any restrictions at all. Of course, that makes things much infinitely more complex 'under-the-hood', but it'll be worth it in the long run.

coupe70 wrote:
Sorry, Mark - I really start to burn for this, so the ideas simply appear...
Which color did you choose for the bedrooms ? Wink
We used a beautiful bright pink. Because that's what people want when they're buying a house Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DonGateley on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Admin wrote:
DonGateley wrote:Where do you live? I'll paint your bedrooms for you if it will free you for DAWOSC work. Wink
You can help me move our furniture into storage today. That would be a great help! We just bought a house, so we're really busy getting our current house ready to sell.

Seriously, if you are anywhere near Santa Cruz, CA, I'd be happy to help out.

DonGateley wrote:I've seldom seen a developer so open to and even enthusiastic about suggestions. What a breath of fresh air compared to what I'm used to over at Plogue's shop.

Thanks! I come from the mindset that the app can be much better if users suggest features should go into it instead of me deciding what makes a good app. Smile

What an enlightened attitude!

DonGateley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 pm

DonGateley wrote:Seriously, if you are anywhere near Santa Cruz, CA, I'd be happy to help out.!

Thank you! I live in Colorado, so that would be a bit of a drive! Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top