Does not work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does not work

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 am

Anybody ever got this to work with Reaper ?
Does not work properly here
When looking in technical info it says it is receiving messages (VU and Mute and Solo for instance) but there is zero feedback from Reaper whatsoever making it totally unusable
the controls are set up right because they send fine to Reaper, but no feedback from Reaper
So has anybody ever got this to work ?

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does not work

Post  Admin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:58 am

The controllers in DAWOSC have to have the proper OSC prefix in order to respond to Reaper.

There's a file called "Default.ReaperOSC" in the \IntallData\OSC folder. That's the file that Reaper uses for OSC prefixes when sending out OSC Data. Those prefixes are what the DAWOSC controllers need to be set at.

Do you have your controllers set up using those prefixes?

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

I assume you have activated "receive OSC" in the preferences of DAWOSC ?

When experimenting with single messages you can have a look "technical information" in
the menu of DAWOSC - there you can see the latest received OSC message and make
sure that something arrives. Btw, Mark it would be nice if the received OSC message
would update while the technical information window is opened - at the moment it doesn't.

You can look at what Reaper outputs with a OSC monitor - on Windows I'm happy with this one:
http://www.frieder-weiss.de/OSC/index.html - just input the port Reaper is sending to in
"receiving port" and IF Reaper sends anything you will see it.

If the messages sent by Reaper match what you have set up in the layout then you also might
have the already reported problem that DAWOSC does not react to received OSC messages.

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 am

As stated in the original post, i checked technical info and saw that DAWOSC is receiving messages, as stated in the original post, Reaper is reacting to movements in the DAWOSC layout so the OSC prefixs are correctly set in the layout and Reaper.default.

So i guess this doesn't actually work then ? (Feedback from other Reaper users are confirming this too)
Might be worth removing Reaper from the website so that more Reaper users do not buy this until it works Wink

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 am

Sorry, I got a little confused as you posted "looking in technical info it says it is receiving messages"
AND "zero feedback from Reaper" - so you mean DAWOSC is receiving the correct data, but it does
not react to them ?

Then you might suffer from the reported problem: http://dawosc.forumotion.com/t99-fader-not-reacting-to-osc-input
If so this is not a Reaper, but an OSC problem - so it's true for all software sending OSC.

My latest findings are that it works when restarting your device and starting DAWOSC for the
first time. When starting DAWOSC the second time it is broken. Can you try to confirm that ?

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 am

Confirmed, it sort of worked after rebooting my device

1 It is not very accurate (Volume faders jump around manically)
2 Some controls simply do not work both ways (Master fader here, works from reaper to DAWOSC but not from DAWOSC to Reaper, even after rebooting)
3 Controls disappear off the display entirely in DAWOSC
4 If the device goes into lock to save power, DAWOSC display completely resets (Some kind of sync after unlock is needed here)

Definitely not a good app right now haha (However don't get me wrong, massive massive potential)

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:06 am

OK it is total unusable as an app right now, like i say massive massive potential , but also massive potential to completely destroy my monitors at the moment too.

Controls jumping about and changing the volume that massively even for a split second is unnacceptable
I will keep testing with a faux super quiet waveform when new versions are released, but the accuracy is a serious issue

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am

I don't know if I can be of much help, but I'm curious to see what's happening.
Would it be possible to upload a short video of these jumping issues ?
Maybe some kind of OSC feedback loop ?

But I don't know Reaper and my layouts are not that complex yet as I'm still
testing the basics and there is still some functionality missing for me before
I can seriously change to DAWOSC from TouchOSC on iOS...

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 am

Sorry, no video available from me
I don t mind supporting developers like this, but i think he should be a bit more honest
The app has obvious huge potential, but should not be sold as working right now
having to reset my device everytime i want to use it isn't really an acceptable way of working and the lack of accuracy could cause serious damage to not only peoples expensive gear but also their ears
These things should be noted before people buy into this thinking it works as advertised

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 am

Bungle wrote:
having to reset my device everytime i want to use it isn't really an acceptable way of working and the
lack of accuracy could cause serious damage to not only peoples expensive gear but also their ears

I agree that the restart issue is a major flaw, but maybe it got accidentally broken in the latest update.
Can happen...I can't imagine that it slipped through since the first release...
Sounds a bit like something is not properly cleaned up when leaving the app.

Your complaint about accuracy should of course be investigated, but I haven't read this here before.

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am

I'm going to have to keep this really short becuase I'm at work and I'm totally slammed due to a corporate takeover right now.

I only found out about these OSC issues a few days ago (maybe a week ago). Before that, I assumed OSC was working properly because no one mentioned any issues (and I don't use OSC personally). The main problem is that the app is in the middle of a major update, so even if I fix the OSC issue right now, I still couldn't release the app because some of the new features aren't tested yet and other new features aren't 100% done yet.

The other problem is that I just don't have time to work on this for about a week. Things are just as crazy and busy for me outside of work as well. So this probably won't get resolved for about a week or so.

Sorry for the problems and thanks for your patience Smile

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bungle on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 am

coupe70 wrote:Your complaint about accuracy should of course be investigated, but I haven't read this here before.

When i get chance to do so, i will make a video to show just how bad it is Wink

Bungle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 am

Just a thought as you said you are also sending VU meter data from Reaper:
No matter if it SHOULD be able to handle that, is it possible that you fire just
too many data at DAWOSC with the VU meters ?
Do you still have problems when you disable some or all of them ?

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top