channel volume syntax problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

channel volume syntax problem

Post  dpow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:14 am

Hi,
I am having a little trouble using dawosc with ableton live via liveosc.
Sending integer or float only commands seems fine, /live/play , /live/master/volume etc work fine. However trying to get a fader to control (say) the volume of channel 1 , or getting a particular clip to play is just not happening.
Different monitor apps are stripping some of the osc formatting, so im not sure what liveosc needs.
Can anyone tell me the syntax i need? in the layout designer ? "/live/volume 0" (minus quotes), for example is not working.
Dan

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: channel volume syntax problem

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:24 am

Hi!

Since your question is really about OSC commands and not DAWOSC, you might have better luck asking this on the Ableton forum. Unfortunately, I don't use Ableton, so I have no idea what the answer is.

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dpow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply.
I did some more digging, and it turns out the liveosc api is fixed. The messages it needs for certain functions require and integer and then a float. The osc monitor recommended on your website shows /prefix1/prefix2 ,if value value
Is there a way i can format data this way using your editor? As mentioned before i can sucessfuly send messages with only one f or i value.
Here is the liveosc message list:
http://monome.q3f.org/browser/trunk/LiveOSC/OSCAPI.txt
Sending messages with multiple osc type tags definitely seems to be the thing here. I hope what i'm saying makes sense. Your app is fabulous with reaper for example, when the osc values are definable from both sides.

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:46 am

Ahh, I see what you're saying.

No, right now DAWOSC can only send one OSC command at a time, so it can only send something like /prefix 4

I do plan on adding the ability for a controller like a button to send 2 different OSC commands at the same time. That would solve your problem.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll be adding this feature. I'm guessing it'll be in the next month or two.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dpow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:16 pm

That is great news! I've been working on this wondering if it's a silly mistake from my end.
Glad to hear the feature is in the pipeline. If i may direct you to line 58 in the link in my previous post, you'll see that ableton requires 3 values in one message! So maybe a scalable solution could handle more situations, and offer better compatibility with fixed frameworks?
Thanks for the quick response, and congratulations again on your brilliant software.
Dan

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey Dan

Thanks for letting me know that 3 values are required. Like you said, I'll make it scalable to keep it flexible Smile

And thanks for the compliment on my software! I'm glad you like it! I think you'll like the next update - all controllers can have pictures. It makes the controllers and screen look so much better! I'm hoping to get this released late next week Smile

Here's a sample of what DAWOSC will look like:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dpow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Wow, your update will really increase the potential uses of your app. Nice work.
I look forward to more lovely updates :-)
ps i may have missed something in the docs, but can dawosc offer up accelerometer data as osc messages?

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Accelerometer data is yet another planned feature. There's A LOT of features that will be added in the next few months. DAWOSC is less than 10 months old, so it's still "growing" and features are being added constantly.

The next features to be added after graphics are:

multiple OSC messages per controller
ability for one controller to affect another controller (ie a fader value can affect the value of a button)
TCP communication (for various networked devices and mixers like the Behringer X32)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dpow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Ok thanks for the clarification. For such young software it is already very well featured!
Keep the functions coming, and i'm sure us users will keep finding new ones for you to implement ;-)

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dpow on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 am

To solve the problem, I have made a puredata patch which reformats dawosc's messages on the fly to be compatible with liveosc's syntax.
If anyone wants a copy of the patch, pm me :-)
Dp

dpow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top