Features that are going to be implemented

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Features that are going to be implemented

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:07 am

So here's the list of features that I'll be implementing:

implement bank program change messages (with lsb msb and not just 0 to 127)
allow only vertical or horizontal sliding in matrix
rpn/nrpn
daisy-chaining DAWOSCs to control the same device/software
have controllers accept "/set" commands
give buttons the ability to send any type of text in place of an OSC prefix
give buttons the ability to send messages via TCP
ability for buttons to send hotkeys like "Shift-F" (not sure if this is possible, but I'll look into it)
ability to momentarily shift to another layout
send snapshot of all controllers
ability to change knob values by moving up and down only
hide the status/notification bar
add the ability for each controller to have it's own OSC port numbers
add a textbox on the DAWOSC layout so that users can type in OSC messages on fly for a controller
add a color ring (http://dawosc.forumotion.com/t116-rgb-color-ring#590)
multi-touch xy pad

editor: ctrl-z undo last move,paste,...
editor: ctrl-left click to select multiple (not adjacent) buttons
editor: ability to change parameters of multiple selected buttons at the same time
editor: multiple lines (screentext) when using longer text and bigger fonts
editor: some kind of possibility to update multiple saved scaled designs at the same time when saving the one you edited.
editor: ability to lock a controller so it doesn't get changed accidentally
editor: create a "test layout' screen that works exactly like the app

Mark

Last edited by Admin on Thu May 15, 2014 7:06 am; edited 39 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Features that are going to be implemented

Post  coupe70 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 am

For swiping / switching between what you call 'layouts' I would strongly recommend to have a look
at how it is done in TouchOSC (which seems not to be under development anymore):

Each layout can contain multiple pages, symbolized by small grey tabs on the top of the page:
hexler.net/gfx/_docs/touchosc-introduction-interface.png
You can also put labels on these tabs:
distingo.nu/bilder/LXForum/TouchOSC/TouchOSC_LXConsole004.PNG
Room for improvement:
In TouchOSC the labels do not belong to the tabs, but to the pages - so to see a label on every
page you have to copy it to every page.

Furthermore the pages can be switched via OSC ("page/1", "page/2", etc) or MIDI Program change.
VERY useful !

A wish I always had was being able to assign a page switch to a normal button, so I can build
my own navigation through the multi-page layout with the desired buttons, button sizes and colors.

coupe70

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

Actually, after testing this weekend, we're ditching "swiping" to change layouts. Turns out, it's way too easy to change layouts accidentally!

We decided to use buttons kind of like TouchOSC, but much better. Here's what we're going to do (for now anyway!)

Layouts will now have names that the user can define in the editor.
There's going to be a new controller type called "Layout Button". This button will have the same kind of GUI flexibility as regular buttons (colors, screen position, size, text, etc).
When you press on this new button, a list will come up showing all the loaded layouts (the app will be bale to hold 10 layouts on the next release). Then just select the layout you want from the popup list.

The thing I hate about TouchOSC's approach is that the the buttons are at the top of screen. If you wanted to place a fader at the top of screen, you can't.

For swiping / switching between what you call 'layouts' I would strongly recommend to have a look
at how it is done in TouchOSC (which seems not to be under development anymore):

Thanks for the Idea about the OSC command and MIDI program change - I'll add those in Smile

Mark

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Mark,
please forgive me for refering to TouchOSC very often - I have used it for several
years now and it offered some solutions that have proven to be very handy. Doing some
things different might be better, with other things it would be like re-inventing the wheel.
In my eyes...

Concerning the organisation of pages:
I have several different uses for an app like yours.
Playing live, DJing, controlling certain VSTs or other software, ...
Many of these uses require several pages and it would make a lot of sense to group these
pages somehow (call it group, layout, folder, whatever) instead of fiddling with individual
pages and having all this different pages in one (with 10 pages at the moment very limited) list.
TouchOSC does this very good - I can have several (unlimited ?) layouts on a device. I load a
layout from within the app and when I 'start' the layout I can navigate in its pages using the
grey tabs at the top.

I understand your concerns about the tabs eating up space on the display. All I can say
is that I use TouchOSC on a small 3,5" iPod touch display and I never had the feeling that
this tab navigation is a bad idea.
You could make it an option for every layout though to show or hide the navigation tabs.

What I hate are pull-down menus or lists that pop up somewhere.
For me a page change has to be one touch. You know, switching to another page is not
a "ok, what am I going to do today and which page do I need ?", it could be a live situation
where I need the mixer page NOW, the devices page NOW and the effects page NOW.
So I would still plead for buttons with a "switch directly to page X" functionality.

This could be complemented with a "Shift" button that switches to a different page
only momentary as long as the finger is not released. This could be used to switch
to a custom made navigation page. A little complicated to put this in words. I would be
absolutely willing to discuss this in detail and build a fake screenshot to explain if you
are interested...

Cheers, Rick

coupe70

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Rick

Thanks for your input!

To be honest, I also like the idea of having buttons at the top of the screen to instantly switch layouts...but I also hate the idea of losing screen space. For me, I like to make my controllers large so that when I'm working in Cubase, I don't have to constantly turn my head to hit a controller on my tablet, so screen space is valuable to me.

Here's what I'm thinking (this is a just an idea off the top of my head, not much thought went into it!):

In the Preferences, users can select whether or not the top dedicated buttons appear for switching layouts. And I'll keep the idea of a special button to change layouts via a popup list of some sort. This way, users have two different ways to switch layouts.

In a case like yours, I see why you want the dedicated buttons for each layout. In a case like mine, I have one template that I use while scoring and a second template for mixing. I never have a need for constantly switching layouts.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people of people who work both ways...and many other ways!

Does anyone have other ideas?

Mark

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am

here's another idea:

I create a controller exactly like the Matrix controller (a grid of buttons), but each button switches to a specified layout?

By doing it this way, you can make the buttons any size and color, and the matrix can be positioned anywhere on the screen.

And I guess I'd have to build a "copy" and paste controller" function in the editor so that you could copy this matrix to all layouts. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

or...

give buttons (regular buttons and cells in a matrix) the ability to switch layouts? That would let you place these buttons anywhere you want - they wouldn't have be next to each other or you could use the existing matrix to group certain types of layout buttons together (mixing controllers in one matrix, MIDI controllers in another matrix, DJ controls in a third matrix...)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  torrescampalans on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 pm

coupe70 wrote:

Furthermore the pages can be switched via OSC ("page/1", "page/2", etc) or MIDI Program change.
VERY useful !

A wish I always had was being able to assign a page switch to a normal button, so I can build
my own navigation through the multi-page layout with the desired buttons, button sizes and colors.

for sure. me too.

torrescampalans

View user profile http://losliriosdelbosque.besalelosdientes.com/

Back to top Go down

OSC Port

Post  Andy Kormann on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am

Huge new market for DAWOSC when editing of ports possible! Behringers top-selling digital mixer X32 could by controlled with android devices then!

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 am

Andy Kormann wrote:Huge new market for DAWOSC when editing of ports possible! Behringers top-selling digital mixer X32 could by controlled with android devices then!

Yeah, I'm really hoping I can this one done in early March when I get more free time Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top