Support for direct midi i/o.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Support for direct midi i/o.

Post  jw1023 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi.
The app looks great, but I'm looking for this with the ability to send midi cc, nrpn and sysex directly from my tablet via a usb midi interface.
Do you think this would be possible in a future update?

Cheers
John

jw1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Support for direct midi i/o.

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey John

Right now, I don't have plans to add direct MIDI I/O. It's not something I really thought about, but now that you mention it, it does make sense for a lot of people who don't really leave their work desk.

I'll look into it over the next week to see how much work is involved. Once I get a feel how do-able that is (or not), I'll post an up in this thread.

Thanks for the idea Smile

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jw1023 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey Mark, that'd be cool.

I'm looking for this feature so that I can use my tablet as a midi controller for some hardware synths, without having to get a computer involved.
In my case a waldorf pulse, a dsi evolver desktop and some elektron kit, but I'm sure it could be useful for all sorts of hardware.
This kind of thing exists for the ipad, but from what I can see no one has done anything on android.

jw1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:03 pm

That's a brilliant idea!!

I ditched all my hardware synths and went completely virtual a few years ago, so that idea never occurred to me. I can see a lot of people needing something like that.

I'll definitely start looking into this right away. I'll give you a heads-up on how long I think it'll take me to implement direct MIDI I/O.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jw1023 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 pm

All I can say is Very Happy

jw1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 pm

This feature might take a little longer to implement Sad

I found out how to send MIDI data out through the USB port, but I have no way of testing it. I don't have any MIDI hardware (I've gone completely virtual) and I can't find any Windows Android USB MIDI drivers.

I'll keep you updated.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jw1023 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 am

I don't think there is a direct usb to usb midi driver for windows or android.
There is rtpMidi which allows midi over LAN.
I think touchdaw does midi over adb, but I'm not sure how it works.

Also, device needs to have the correct kernel drivers loaded for usb midi. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with a custom kernel and ICS, which recognises usb class compliant midi and audio devices, and a Galaxy S2, with the factory kernel on ICS, which doesn't.

jw1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 am

jw1023 wrote:I don't think there is a direct usb to usb midi driver for windows or android.
There is rtpMidi which allows midi over LAN.
I think touchdaw does midi over adb, but I'm not sure how it works.

Also, device needs to have the correct kernel drivers loaded for usb midi. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with a custom kernel and ICS, which recognises usb class compliant midi and audio devices, and a Galaxy S2, with the factory kernel on ICS, which doesn't.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been finding. I think I might have to put this on hold for awhile, unfortunately. I'll keep poking around though.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jw1023 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:26 am

Ah, that's a shame.
Totally understand though. It's a pity Google don't put a bit more effort into midi and low latency audio in android, it's one of the only advantages that IOS has IMO.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to use a rasberry pi or rikomagic MK802 running linux and the arm port of PD, as a OSC to midi bridge, just not sure if my linux and pure data chops are up to it.

jw1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top