default layouts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default layouts

Post  ben303 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 am

Hi,

are there no default layouts?

I know you can create your own....but no default ones included?

Ben

ben303

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: default layouts

Post  Admin on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am

There's only a basic test layout included in the app for trial purposes only.

The reason sample layouts aren't included is because most DAWs have to be configured to work with the sample layout. And many DAWs, like Sonar X1/X2, don't support importing and exporting of controller configurations. So if I included sample layouts and a user loaded it expecting it work right away (which it wouldn't), then they'd think it was a bug in DAWOSC.

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  messiaen on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 am

Saw about this program on some forum and decided to try it with my Galaxy S3 Phone. I don't have my computer right now so I can't test it, but I really think default layout should be included, otherwise less patient people will may skip the program and try something else first. Here, and on the other forum, this is the first thing everyone complained about.

Seriously, include a simple MIDI Keyboard control with mod wheel and pitch bend layout, a simple CC mixer and a transport example. It doesn't have to work, but at least people will get to try how the program feels. Perhaps make it fully functional but just for 5 minutes or so. This is the kind of program most will buy if it works correctly.

messiaen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:59 pm

messiaen wrote:Seriously, include a simple MIDI Keyboard control with mod wheel and pitch bend layout, a simple CC mixer and a transport example. It doesn't have to work, but at least people will get to try how the program feels. Perhaps make it fully functional but just for 5 minutes or so. This is the kind of program most will buy if it works correctly.

Actually, it absolutely does have to work, otherwise people will think the app doesn't work and it's full of bugs. As I've mentioned many times the past, the problem with a default template is that most DAWS aren't configured for a generic control surface and there isn't a standard CC set for transport, etc.

Right now ,the app boots up with a CC1 and CC11 faders as a default test template. I'll probably add sample MIDI keys later.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gpp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Actually, it absolutely does have to work, otherwise people will think the app doesn't work and it's full of bugs. As I've mentioned many times the past, the problem with a default template is that most DAWS aren't configured for a generic control surface and there isn't a standard CC set for transport, etc.

Honestly, considering the kind of work that's currently needed to get the app working (install midi loopback driver, install and configure pure data, install layout editor, create layout, transfer layout, configure daw...), I think that's a lesser concern. You can always warn the user with a popup that he needs to configure his daw.

Importantly, if default layouts are included, not only there are less steps to perform and users get a feel of what's possible, but mappings for the DAWs (that support it - traktor, ableton live,...) can be provided on the site. Also, it would be possible to do a daw-auto-detecting installer packager that provided the a appropriate mappings when possible, or appropriate instructions otherwise

gpp

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:39 pm

gpp wrote:You can always warn the user with a popup that he needs to configure his daw.

The new version does include a basic layout. It's got MIDI faders and a 1-octave MIDI keyboard. It'll hopefully be released in a week or so.

But I'm definitely NOT adding controllers that require the user to configure their DAW in order for it to work. I've been writing software for about 30 years and most users typically ignore popup messages. So when they ignore the popup message that says they have to configure their DAW and then see that the controllers don't work, they automatically assume that the software doesn't work. Any developer will tell you that kind of reaction happens a lot.

gpp wrote:but mappings for the DAWs (that support it - traktor, ableton live,...) can be provided on the site. Also, it would be possible to do a daw-auto-detecting installer packager that provided the a appropriate mappings when possible, or appropriate instructions otherwise

The problem with that is that some software programs like Sonar X1/X2 don't have default settings, and worse, they don't even have a function to import and export settings.

If I ever get some free time (!), I'll look into this more, but for now, the safest route is to just have generic MIDI controllers and keys. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top