connecting to hardware mixer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

connecting to hardware mixer

Post  Andy Kormann on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 am

Hi there!

I try to connect DAWOSC (unlocked) to a Behringer X32, which has an OSC-server implemented. I connected a wireless-router to the mixer, and was able to control it with an osc-app on my laptop. But I had no luck connecting DAWOSC. Am I missing something important?

Edit: Figured out, that DAWOSC seems to send on port 8001 whereas the mixer watches port 10023. Will post a feature request to set port in DAWOSC.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: connecting to hardware mixer

Post  ekneos on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 am

Would you be willing to share your X32 control layout?

Thank you

ekneos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Kormann on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:05 am

Hi,

since dawosc only communicates one way, I wrote my own app for control of x32. It can only do monitors (like "sends-on-faders" on the desk).

XMonitor - Android Monitor App for X32

Maybe this helps!

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ekneos on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 am

Nice work!

I think you'd have quite some success on the play market if you can keep up with the features of the official iOS-only app.

Also I think by the meantime DAWOSC already learned to also receive OSC messages in full-duplex manner. So if you think someone here might continue your work, feel free to post your layout file. Thank you!

ekneos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

X32

Post  Andy Kormann on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 am

You are absolutely right! But the X32 works different. You have to send /xremote periodically (<10sec) in order to receive osc-messages from the desk. Receiving of meter-values is even more complicated. That's why I decided to write my own litte app.

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 am

Andy Kormann wrote:You are absolutely right! But the X32 works different. You have to send /xremote periodically (<10sec) in order to receive osc-messages from the desk. Receiving of meter-values is even more complicated. That's why I decided to write my own litte app.
I was told that DAWOSC (or any app) has to send a specific OSC command every 5 seconds or so to tell the X32 to send out updated values. Then the X32 sends out its' values using a unique TCP format, not OSC or MIDI.

Does the X32 actually send it values out using OSC and not a unique TCP format?

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Kormann on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am

Admin wrote: I was told that DAWOSC (or any app) has to send a specific OSC command every 5 seconds or so to tell the X32 to send out updated values. Then the X32 sends out its' values using a unique TCP format, not OSC or MIDI.

Does the X32 actually send it values out using OSC and not a unique TCP format?

Mark
Hi Mark,

yes, you have to send /xremonte at least every 10 seconds (as I now) in order to receive messages from the desk. These message are mostly commom osc-messages sent on the same (udp-) port as the requestor. (e.g. sending "/ch/01/config/name" will receive "/ch/01/config/name" with a string value containing the name of chanel one) Some of the osc-messages (meters) however don't start with "/".

Andy

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:16 am

hey Andy

So in order for DAWOSC to work properly, it would have to send an OSC command every 10 seconds (more or less) for EACH controller using the controller's OSC prefix?

Or does DAWOSC just send 1 "global" OSC command every 10 seconds (1 global OSC command was how it was explained to me)?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Kormann on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 am

Hi Mark,

in order to receive "standard" messages you have to send "/xremote" periodically. If you want to get meters, you first have to subscribe ("/meters") with parameters defining which set of meters you want, and then periodically (< 10sec) update this request.

Andy

Andy Kormann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 am

hey Andy

Ahh, ok. It's making more sense now Smile

This is something I can definitely implement, it doesn't sound all the difficult. The problem is that I don't have an X32 (or any Behringer gear) to test with.

I'm in the middle of another update right now, so I wouldn't be able to work on this for about 2-3 weeks, but I imagine it shouldn't take more than a week to implement.

Anyone wanna be a guinea pig? Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ekneos on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:47 pm

I'd definetly be keen to test it.

ekneos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm

ekneos wrote:I'd definetly be keen to test it.
Cool Smile

I'll let you know when I'll be able to start working on it. It'll be a few weeks at least though.

thanks!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:35 am

Hey everyone

I was finally able to create a version that will hopefully work with Behringer mixers.

I added 3 new controllers:

OSC Repeater - 3 Seconds
OSC Repeater - 5 Seconds
OSC Repeater - 10 Seconds

These controllers allow you set an OSC prefix and an integer/float/text value. They send this value every 3, 5 or 10 seconds automatically.

For the X32, do this:
- select the "OSC Repeater - 5 Seconds" controller
- set the OSC prefix to    /xremote      (or whatever it should be)
- leave the "OSC ON/Max value" blank

It iw now available on Google Play (version 3.99)

Google Play

Mark

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zaboomafoo on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Hello,

I am trying to get dawosc working with x32 rack. It seems to work only one way - dawosc to x32.

I think I can see the reason. dawosc sends /xremote command properly to x32. However the issue is that x32 returns the feedback messages to the originating port that issued /xremote command. dawosc accepts messages only on the port set in "incoming port" setting. Since originating port from dawosc is very much a random number, I cannot set it up in advance. So response messages from x32 go nowhere.

This is how it works:

1) dawosc configured to listen on port 9000 and send on port 10023
2) dawosc sends /xremote command from random port 56000 (example) to port 10023 - that is ok
3) x32 sends back response commands to dawosc, port 56000 - not good since dawosc is listening on 9000

Would you be able to fix this so that dawosc can be forced to listen on the same (random) port that it uses to send commands out? Currently none of the osc programs supports this Sad. That would make dawosc perfect for making custom surfaces for x32 mixers.

Regards,
Frank

zaboomafoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:57 pm

hey Frank

I'm not sure what you mean by "random port". DAWOSC only uses two ports - In and Out, that are specified in the Preferences.

Also, DAWOSC (and all other apps) can't listen on the same port that they send commands to because the port that the commands are sent to is "in use", so the same port can't be opened for sending AND receiving.

It sounds like a kind of dumb implementation on Behringer's part (if I understand things properly - I don't own any Behringer equipment). So there's no way to set OSC IN and OUT port numbers in the x32?

Mark

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zaboomafoo on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:50 pm

x32 listens on port 10023 and responds to the port that requested /xremote command. That is what causes problem to all osc programs (both ios and android).

Let me try to explain the "random port" thing.

When you send a UDP message, it goes from IP1:PORT1 to IP2:PORT2. You specify IP2 and PORT2 (that is your outgoing setting). IP1 is your client's IP. Now PORT1 is the problem. Normally you don't care what it is and usually it is randomly assigned by OS or socket library.

You can set the originating port when you create an istance of the DatagramSocket class. I am assuming you are not specifying the port when you create an instance, something like this:

DatagramSocket clientSocket = new DatagramSocket();

However you could do it this way:

DatagramSocket clientSocket = new DatagramSocket(intSomePortNumber);

That way your outgoing packets would be bound to a known port. And that is the port where x32 sends its responses

Now I don't know if it is possible to bind the sending packets to the same port that you are listening to (incoming port), don't have time to try that now. If that works that would be an ideal and simple fix.

(http://developer.android.com/reference/java/net/DatagramSocket.html).

Regards,
Frank

zaboomafoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 pm

oh, that's what you mean by 'random'.

I'll look into it further after Christmas, but I don't think I'll get it to work simply because the main port is still being used by the incoming and outgoing stream. So, basically, don't hold your breath unfortunately Sad

I'll try my best!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zaboomafoo on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I understand. Thanks for your prompt response.

This is one android app that is specifically built for x32
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davidgiga1993.mixingstation

Regards,
Frank

zaboomafoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top