Midi signal loops if using sliders in Ableton Live

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Midi signal loops if using sliders in Ableton Live

Post  hadadi5 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I notice when I use slider, the midi loops. Like, Ableton Live receives the signal and comes back and keeps doing so, with the two led of midi (one yellow and one orange) keep flashing, 'til I use any other controller and it stops. Then I use one slider, and it loops again.

I use LoopBe, PD with the extension untouched, configured to work with LoopBe.

Here's a screenshot of my Live configuration:

i.imgur.com/EyxuTaN.png

Maybe am I doing something wrong?

And another issue: I use currently three layouts, but when I use the DAW on my laptop, on the phone only the active layout receives the midi data, so only the active one is synced, not matter if I change (for example, turn off or on) something that in the app is in another, unfocused layout.

hadadi5

Back to top Go down

Re: Midi signal loops if using sliders in Ableton Live

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I notice when I use slider, the midi loops. Like, Ableton Live receives the signal and comes back and keeps doing so, with the two led of midi (one yellow and one orange) keep flashing, 'til I use any other controller and it stops. Then I use one slider, and it loops again.
I use LoopBe, PD with the extension untouched, configured to work with LoopBe.
Here's a screenshot of my Live configuration:
i.imgur.com/EyxuTaN.png
Maybe am I doing something wrong?
What's happening is that as you move the fader, you update the value in Ableton, and then Ableton immediately sends the updated value back to DAWOSC. I did make DAWOSC not update controllers that you're currently moving.

I don't know Ableton at all, so maybe you can post a question on the Ableton section or on the Ableton forum on how to set up controllers. From your picture, everything looks right, but maybe there's something else you have to do.

And another issue: I use currently three layouts, but when I use the DAW on my laptop, on the phone only the active layout receives the midi data, so only the active one is synced, not matter if I change (for example, turn off or on) something that in the app is in another, unfocused layout.
This isn't a bug. I built DAWOSC so that only the current layout gets updated. The reason I did it this way is so the DAWOSC isn't updating a ton of controls that aren't visible.

What does everyone think? Should the layouts that aren't visible still get updated? This could impact responsiveness if you have 10 very busy layouts loaded.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hadadi5 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:27 pm

so, you are telling me that midi loop/feedback/whatever-it-is isn't a bug? I don't want to sound arrongant or something, but it happens only when using DAWOSC. I investigated the thing for few days now and I don't know whatever to change to fix that (it's not much of a issue, it sucks a bit of CPU though)

For the layout updates, could I humbly suggest to make it as an option? So I can choose to update or not hidden layouts. For my live set-up, it would come handy. Obviously, only my 2 cents.

Anyway, I love the DAWOSC app. Smile

hadadi5

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

so, you are telling me that midi loop/feedback/whatever-it-is isn't a bug? I don't want to sound arrongant or something, but it happens only when using DAWOSC. I investigated the thing for few days now and I don't know whatever to change to fix that (it's not much of a issue, it sucks a bit of CPU though)
No, sorry, I didn't mean to imply it's not a bug. I was really asking if it could be an Ableton issue. With Cubase, it's stupidly easy to set up MIDI loops with just LoopBe.

For the layout updates, could I humbly suggest to make it as an option? So I can choose to update or not hidden layouts. For my live set-up, it would come handy. Obviously, only my 2 cents.
I was thinking the same thing Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hadadi5 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm

thanks for the quick response.

I'll keep investigating and I'll update the topic if I find a way to fix that. Smile

hadadi5

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm also going to double-check this with Cubase tonight. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 am

I use Ableton Live, so I can check it out, too.
Haven't programmed to controller layouts for a long time, so I have to have a look at
what happens with incoming MIDI data...

Concerning the updating of unvisible pages:
YES! You know I'm asking to group several layouts to one layout set all the time and
this is closely related. Just one example: I build multiple pages to control a VST
synthesizer - if I turn a know in my DAW I have to be sure that ALL knobs in a set
of pages in DAWOSC are up to date, even if they are invisible in this moment.

For me there is no doubt how I need it, but as hadadi5 said, make it an option - options
are always nice. But again, ideally it would be an option per layout SET...

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

ok, I'll add this as an option in Preferences Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  torrescampalans on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Admin wrote:ok, I'll add this as an option in Preferences Smile

nice. thanks.

torrescampalans

View user profile http://losliriosdelbosque.besalelosdientes.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  hadadi5 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

so, I tried with loopbe30 and copperlan and there's no bug on DAWOSC. The thing was that loopbe1 uses only one virtual port. So, think of the same cable for both input and output. Speaking of midi (I don't know about OSC) that's a nonsense. Hence the loop.

You need two different ports (thinks as the common midi input and output on any keyboard or piece of hardware), one for the input and one for the output.

Maybe I've discovered hot water, but now it's working. :-)

hadadi5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top