Modul8 + DAWOSC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modul8 + DAWOSC?

Post  metamondo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm

I realize this is supposed to be for Digital AUDIO Workstations but it looks pretty amazing and extremely flexible. I'm desperately trying to find an Android OSC controller to work with Modul8 live video mixing software. (TouchOSC has been promising a customizable Android version since Noah disembarked from the Ark... But it is currently impossible to upload your own layouts to the Android version of the app.)

So the question is: Does anybody know if DAWOSC could be made to work with Modul8?

metamondo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Modul8 + DAWOSC?

Post  Admin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi!

I just went to the Modul8 website and tried to find out about it's OSC functionality. I didn't see anything about OSC, but I guess since you're here asking about DAWOSC, it supports OSC Smile

Theoretically, DAWOC should work with it. For each controller in DAWOSC, you can specify the OSC prefix and data. And coming next week, I'll be releasing a new version of DAWOSC that lets you specify the data range for each controller and you can also reverse each controller. These features might be using for controlling Modul8, but I'm not sure.

You can download DAWOSC for free along with the editor to try it out. The free version will only show the first three controllers, but that should be enough for you see if it works.

Let me know if you have any other questions Smile

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Modul8 + DAWOSC

Post  metamondo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi Mark

Speedy response! Those new features sound extremely useful.

I apologize if I'm about to provide more info than you actually need but let me hand it over anyway and you can decide what matters and what doesn't.

Here are a couple of Modul8 layouts that were created in TouchOSC - for the iPad, of course!

http://www.wavilox.com/2011/11/layout-touchosc-actualizada.html

http://blog.lotech.co.nz/2011/05/modul8-touchosc-layout-v1/

- Note the comments on the Lotech blog:
"[Using] Hexlers TouchOSC iOS & Android app… users could draw up the layout they wanted and then sync them direct to the devices which in turn would send the OSC commands over Wifi. From there you can use Modul8's OSC Module to send and receive commands. Unfortunately one downfall of this is that you're limited to its internal Keyword for commands.

As a result I've gone with the fantastic OSC translator OSCulator as an intermediatry between the iPad and Modul8. It allows you to assign Midi commands to be each OSC command. Another bonus is that is seamlessly supports Midi receiving so when used along side UDART's Two Way Midi module you can have all your buttons in sync with their states on the screen."

Finally, I'm pasting the small section of the Modul8 Manual that deals with OSC at the end of my post.

What do you reckon? Is something similar do-able in DAWOSC?

- Raymond

------------------------------------

FROM Modul8 MANUAL:

TOUCHOSC

Introduction
Open Sound Control, or OSC, is a content format for messaging among computers, sound synthesizers, and other multimedia devices that is optimized for modern networking technology (source: wikipedia.org). As of this writing the most popular controller to use this protocol is TouchOSC, and it is available as an app for iOS and Android devices. On the developer’s website (http://www.hexler.net) you can find information about how to purchase TouchOSC for your device and download the free TouchOSC editor that allows you to create your own interfaces. TouchOSC also supports MIDI, so if you don’t want to use OSC, your device can function just like a standard MIDI device!

Suggestions for use
One of the main advantages of using TouchOSC is the ability to create custom interfaces for controlling your software. The temptation with this is to re-create the interface of Modul8. While establishing a relationship between the two may seem logical at first, such an ap- proach may be counter productive when considering the ergonomics and form factor of the device. In other words, what works for the desktop may not work very well for a device that you hold in your hands.

The OSC module
To control Modul8 using OSC you will need to download the OSC module from the Garage- CUBE Online Module Library from within Modul8. The OSC (global) module consists of two panels. On the left side is the ‘Keyword Listener’ and on the right ‘Feedback Sender’. The former receives messages from your device, the latter sends messages to your device.

Keyword Listener
In this panel you will find the address of your computer. Use this address when prompted for configuring TouchOSC on your device. When the button labeled ‘active’ is enabled (its color turns from blue to orange), Modul8 will respond to any activity on your device when using TouchOSC provided you have created controls for it.

Feedback Sender
In this panel you will see a field labeled ‘Target IP’: Enter the IP address of your device as it is indicated in the TouchOSC settings. When the button in this section labeled ‘active’ is enabled, you can manipulate any control in Modul8 that is connected to a control in TouchOSC and that control will move simultaneously. For example if you move an opacity fader of a layer in the Modul8 interface then the corresponding fader in TouchOSC will move with it.

Creating custom interfaces using OSC
The most important thing to know when creating interfaces with TouchOSC for Modul8 is how to tell TouchOSC to talk to Modul8. As a small example lets create a slider in the TouchOSC editor:

1. Ctrl + mouse click anywhere within the layout window.

A menu will appear in the black area of the interface building canvas.

2. Select Fader V.

3. To the left of the interface building canvas un-check the box labeled ‘auto’ so that the text field below it can be edited.
Type in the following: /md8key/ctrl_layer_alpha/1.

What you have written here is a Modul8 based keyword message that will tell Modul8 (md8key) to control the alpha of a layer (ctrl_layer_alpha), and that layer will be layer 1. For future reference use -1 for controlling all layers, 0 for the selected layer and 1 to 10 for each individual layer.

Send this simple slider interface to your device. Make sure that the OSC (global) module is activated and test your new slider.

With this basic knowledge you can create a control for everything in the Modul8 interface. To learn about all the keywords available for controlling Modul8 select ‘Modules > Keywords Browser’ from the main menu. A complete listing, divided by category, is available in a column view at the top. When selecting a particular keyword, its options will be displayed in a dialog box at the bottom of the window.

For more detailed information about Keywords Browser see chapter 11 ‘How to connect a keyword to a button’ of this manual.

MIDI with TouchOSC
While you can use the OSC module to control all of the parameters in Modul8, it does not allow you to assign TouchOSC controls to modules. However TouchOSC also supports MIDI, and you can use MIDI messages to control modules….

[It goes on to explain how this can be done]

In Modul8, enable ‘MIDI mapping’ and select the control element you want to control and move the control on your device just as you would with a regular MIDI device. TouchOSC allows you to use MIDI and OSC simultaneously.

Case study
The following layout is provided as a case study for a custom interface designed for a spe- cific performance/installation. The project uses all 10 layers in Modul8 and the TouchOSC setup uses a combination of OSC and MIDI messages in conjunction with a simple module.

The entire project, including the TouchOSC interface, Modul8 project file, its media and custom module can be found in the Basics folder, labeled ‘silant.touch’. The central concept behind the creation of this interface is that it allows the performer to focus only on what is necessary to control in the software as opposed to overwhelming them with all of the options of the Modul8 interface.

metamondo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey Raymond

Well, it sounds like DAWOSC would definitely work. The only problem that I can see is that the editor is Windows-only. I haven't made a Mac version yet. The editor does work in Windows emulators though, so it may not be an issue for you.

You csn also use DAWOSC to send MIDI commands to Modul8.

You should definitely download the app and give it a try.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  metamondo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Cool. It's busy being downloaded onto my Samsung Tab right now!

I read somewhere that I can also edit Layouts as text files without going into your WYSIWIG-style Windows editor. I have some Flash and Processing experience. If I open the files up in TextWrangler or something would I be able to hack them? What extension should they be saved with?

Thanks for your prompt & helpful response.

Look forwarding to building something fun with your app!

- Raymond

metamondo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Burtan on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:01 am

metamondo wrote:
Cool. It's busy being downloaded onto my Samsung Tab right now!

I read somewhere that I can also edit Layouts as text files without going into your WYSIWIG-style Windows editor. I have some Flash and Processing experience. If I open the files up in TextWrangler or something would I be able to hack them? What extension should they be saved with?

Thanks for your prompt & helpful response.

Look forwarding to building something fun with your app!

- Raymond

The text files are relatively large but easy to understand. Have a look at my RME TotalMixFX layout under Sequencer/others to get an idea of it.

Burtan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 am

metamondo wrote:
I read somewhere that I can also edit Layouts as text files without going into your WYSIWIG-style Windows editor. I have some Flash and Processing experience. If I open the files up in TextWrangler or something would I be able to hack them? What extension should they be saved with

yeah, you can easily edit them. They're just text files. The extension is .txt. I deliberately designed it that way Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coupe70 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Raymond, you should not count on TouchOSC.
There has been no activity for a year now (iOS & Android), I would suppose it's dead...
So DAWOSC is the way to go on Android.

coupe70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  metamond on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 am

Yeah, I think everyone is giving up on Hexler. Seems crazy - he developed it to a really usable level and then simply abandoned it. Maybe he won the lottery or something...!

metamond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum