General project direction, some suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General project direction, some suggestions

Post  gpp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 pm

First of all, let me congratulate you on your app, editor and site - it's great to see a customizable controller for android (and with OSC transport instead of flimsy midi-over-rtp).

I have a couple of questions:

• I'd like to know if it's possible to donate to support the project. I'm a developer myself, so I can tell you've done a bit of work on this, and 100 downloads at 1.5 each doesn't really cover it.

• Why the custom text format for the layout files? I think JSON would be a great fit for this kind of thing - it's very human readable and it would make the format easier to parse both by the app and by any external programs. It would also constraint the language (which is a good thing in this case, IMHO)

• Have you considered open-sourcing? It would attract developers willing to contribute - I certainly would like to. Of course, there's some risk involved with open sourcing a paid app, which leads me to...

• What about a web-based SaaS layout editor? It's much more convenient: cross platform, doesn't need installing, users could easily share layouts, etc. Also, you could charge, say, 0.1$ for each layout edit/download, or something like that.

• If you're not interested on SaaS, I still think it'd be great to have some place to share layouts freely (and other info too). A section in the forum could work, but it's probably not the best option; have you thought about installing a wiki?

gpp

Back to top Go down

Re: General project direction, some suggestions

Post  gpp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh, and if you're not interested in open sourcing but still would like some help (app, wiki, web editor, whatever), let me know if you're interested in partnering up

gpp

Back to top Go down

Post  gpp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

aand, maybe a proper bugtracker and place for feature requests?
Have you considered setting up a page at github(even if you don't host the source)?

Or maybe you could install redmine? That would also take care of the wiki... and a lot of other stuff

gpp

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:02 pm

gpp wrote:First of all, let me congratulate you on your app, editor and site - it's great to see a customizable controller for android (and with OSC transport instead of flimsy midi-over-rtp).

Thanks ! I appreciate it Smile

gpp wrote:
[*]I'd like to know if it's possible to donate to support the project. I'm a developer myself, so I can tell you've done a bit of work on this, and 100 downloads at 1.5 each doesn't really cover it.
Thanks for the offer, but I have no plans for allowing people to make donations.

gpp wrote:
[*]Why the custom text format for the layout files? I think JSON would be a great fit for this kind of thing - it's very human readable and it would make the format easier to parse both by the app and by any external programs. It would also constraint the language (which is a good thing in this case, IMHO)
I'm using a custom text format because it's MUCH easier to read and edit than json files. I get that feedback all the time. Json does scare a lot of people away. And it's easily parsed my the editor and DAWOSC.

gpp wrote:
[*]Have you considered open-sourcing? It would attract developers willing to contribute - I certainly would like to. Of course, there's some risk involved with open sourcing a paid app, which leads me to...

I definitely don't plan on making this open-source. I *BELEIVE* that I would have to make DAWOSC completely free to users if it did go open-source. I could be wrong on that, but it seems very wrong to charge for an app that's open-source.

gpp wrote:
[*]What about a web-based SaaS layout editor? It's much more convenient: cross platform, doesn't need installing, users could easily share layouts, etc. Also, you could charge, say, 0.1$ for each layout edit/download, or something like that.

I'll stick with the editor format that I'm using now. It give me much more flexibilty to do whatever I want now and in the future.

And I'd never, ever charge users for editing/downloading their layouts. Many people constantly edit their layouts, so that would get expensive for them.

gpp wrote:
[*]If you're not interested on SaaS, I still think it'd be great to have some place to share layouts freely (and other info too). A section in the forum could work, but it's probably not the best option; have you thought about installing a wiki?[/list]
There's already a section in the forum for the major DAWS and a few people are already sharing their layouts and tips. I will look into a better layout-sharing system later on (and probably build right into the editor).

Mark

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dawosc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

gpp wrote:Oh, and if you're not interested in open sourcing but still would like some help (app, wiki, web editor, whatever), let me know if you're interested in partnering up

Thanks for the offer - I really appreciate it! Although developing this, maintaining it, and supporting users is a tremendous amount of work, I'd rather keep the project private for now Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

gpp wrote:aand, maybe a proper bugtracker and place for feature requests?
Have you considered setting up a page at github(even if you don't host the source)?

Or maybe you could install redmine? That would also take care of the wiki... and a lot of other stuff

I'd rather keep it in the forum like it is now. I've got my own offline system for keeping track of bugs. As for users reporting bugs and so on, it's done in the DAWOSC forum which everyone knows how to use. It's easy to post a bug and get emails when I reply to it and so on.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top